The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Gladness of this Rhythm

Is it beyond thee to be glad with the gladness of this rhythm?
to be tossed and lost and broken in the whirl of this fearful joy?
     All things rush on, they stop not, they look not behind, no
power can hold them back, they rush on.
     Keeping steps with that restless, rapid music, seasons
come dancing and pass away -- colours, tunes, and perfumes
pour in endless cascades in the abounding joy that scatters
and gives up and dies every moment.

- Rabindranath Tagore



It's been an abounding joy, as Tagore says, to write this blog. I began it to experience writing only what interested me, after retiring from a career writing to spec. I was also interested in the discipline of writing every day, and in sparking conversations with some of the blog's patient and generous readers.

I'm ending the blog today so I can explore writing in a less critical and analytical voice. And I'm eagerly anticipating the resumption of individual email and in-person conversations with many of the people who have been watching the blog.

I want to express special thanks to my neighbor Jan, who supplied hundreds of marvelous photos to brighten up this blog. In addition to being a photographer, Jan is a healer, a teacher, an adventurer and a quiet, solid friend.

Finally, I'm filled with gratitude for you readers who have shared comments and ideas. I have learned a great deal, thanks to you.


Me, 1960