The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Friday, March 2, 2012

It’s My Party and I’ll Cry If I Want To


Maine Public Broadcasting has been doing its usual good job of covering local issues, in this case the unexpected announcement from Sen. Snowe that she won’t run again. The pundits and callers-in to the various radio programs have been busy congratulating Maine for having so many independent voters.

I’m not so sure about this.

A Sheepscot Low Tide, By Jan
Independence is a traditional American virtue, and I certainly don’t like the idea of distant and possibly corrupt politician being the boss of me. I’m less comfortable, however, with several aspects of the glib romanticizing of unaffiliated voters. Here’s my list:

1. There’s a fine line between independent thinking and self-indulgent rationalization of inaction. Yes, of course, each of us has our own passions, our own values, our own political goals. But a community, a society, and a state is a collective entity. I jealously guard my autonomy, my individual issues, my privacy, and the security of my own home. When I head for the ballot box, it's unrealistic and naïve to demand that what happens there exactly reflect my own preferences.

Democracy involves compromise to facilitate collective action. When I visited the brand new nation of Vanuatu in the early 1970’s, someone gave me a t-shirt with a cartoon of two mules pulling in opposite directions, unable to reach two opposed piles of hay. Under them it showed the same two mules, pulling in the same direction, contentedly munching on hay together. The cartoon communicated a whole political philosophy, without needing words.

I need to accommodate representatives who will inevitably take positions I don’t agree with. Sometimes it feels like we’re a nation of spoiled babies insisting that the world around us be perfect – as defined by 300 million “me’s.” Tolerating differences is often difficult  – Maine’s second district Congressman Michaud is a co-sponsor of the amendment to restrict women's access to contraception, I abhor it. Can I get past my disagreement enough to be constructive, or will I just sit on the sidelines and complain?

2. The political parties are pretty awful sometimes – petty, corrupt, arrogant and selfish. And that’s not the whole inventory. When something is broken, we are too used to tossing it out, instead of putting time and effort into fixing it. The political parties will not behave more sensibly if they’re not held accountable by dues-paying members. Things don’t improve when critics quit in a huff. Stick with it – make it better.

3. Some people are downright phobic about the idea of collective action; they feel communist or un-American. You don’t need to be a political scientist or historian to know that over millennia, people have learned again and again that collective action is powerful – from community organizing to church congregations to guerilla insurgencies. Yes individuals can make a difference, but it’s groups of people who change the world.
Norby's Vote Is In the Bag, by Marty

4. It is not necessary to leave your independence at the door in order to participate in the political process via a political party. Listening to all the righteous bluster from independents, it sounds like people who are registered in a political party are little robots who do whatever mean little politicians tell them. In the real world, it’s not a choice of being an independent person or being part of a political party.

5. The political parties need reform and they need a kick in the pants. But we do need them – they provide coherence and effectiveness through coordinated – yes collective – action. It’s actually quite easy to sit outside the parties and smugly point out their deficiencies and failures. It’s more difficult, but much more effective and relevant, to get inside and work.

I’m a registered Democrat and I can’t imagine not being one. Some of what the Democratic Party does makes me mad as hell. So I can quit and stomp away and make grand noises. Or I can keep every one of my own values and principles and still push hard within my Party for its improvement.