The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Living In Canine Mode

I have a good friend, a southerner (he lives down in Portland), who has been going through the tribulations that all pet owners have to endure at some point: a failing old dog. His beloved companion has cancer and a failing heart. All in his family are suffering.


My friend writes that the dog's "spirits are still pretty good.  And his canine wit - is very much in place. He still remembers all his clowning, his teasing & tricks & fun!"

As for my friend and his family, he says, "We are trying to stay in a more 'canine mode,' that wonderful 'joy of the moment.'" 

Those of us with animal companions no doubt have many reasons for keeping these creatures in our homes - and under foot. But my buddy's statement about "canine mode" has a strong resonance. My creatures show little worry about possible future catastrophes. They welcome novel events with wagging tails and an enthusiastic sniff. Even the cool cats gently pat and poke at every new person and item they encounter.


My Dog Francie


In exchange for food and continual lap sojourns, the pets infuse my daily life with a cheerful focus on the present. They're seemingly as judgmental as I am, but according to criteria that are devoid of ideology and moralism. They communicate prolifically and with as much clarity as they can manage. They seem to enjoy just being near me - and each other. They mourn the loss of each visitor and they eagerly welcome every new one.

No matter what pets you may have, and many people have at least one, I hope they help you have "canine mode." And to that failing old dog in Portland, I send good wishes for a smooth passage, and thanks.