The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Monday, March 19, 2012

Palate Cleanser

I am grateful for the emails from people reading this blog. Some like what they read, some don't, others want to point out errors. By far what people talk about most is my pets. Especially Jimmy.

Tomorrow's blog starts out with Lillian Hellman and goes into a tricky human rights question. Today I'm sharing some photos I took yesterday trying to get a dog portrait after Jimmy's bath. I wanted to catch him in a rare moment of cleanliness. Maybe these photos will make the chorus of dog lovers happy.





Baths are necessary for Jimmy's health as well as his appearance. Being washed tires him out since he is trapped in the kitchen sink, torn between wanting to please and wanting to escape. He typically follows his bath with a nap, guarded by Francie - whose life's work is looking out for whoever lives here. The picture above is how it looked as I picked up my camera.




First Jimmy refused to wake up for his photo session.


Finally he opened his eyes, sort of:



And showed his gratitude to Francie by jumping on her:



Then the geese started a ruckus under the window:



Finally I got my picture of the pair before Jimmy could explore the dirt in the back yard:



Jimmy trotted off to in search of dust, leaving Francie to supervise: