The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sirius Black & Roana

A Facebook friend posted this photo of her dog Sirius Black being nanny to one of her goats, Roana. My friend works at my vet's office; I got to know her when she brought one of her goats to work one day.

Mary and I had goats back in the day. They rivaled our children in being both incredibly appealing and unendingly mischievous. During the infamous Valentine's Day storm in the mid-80s, Mary decamped to a motel with the babies due to lack of water and power, Jason and I stayed behind to look after things. One of her goats chose to deliver kids in the middle of the night. I stood in calf-deep icy water with a light strapped to my head while the goat loudly blamed me for the whole mess.


Courtesy Fort Lewis Preservation Farm