The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Friday, March 23, 2012

Perfection



Is it so small a thing
To have enjoy’d the sun,
To have lived light in the spring,
To have loved, to have thought, to have done;
To have advanced true friends, and beat down baffling foes?
 


This wonderful piece of a longer poem by Matthew Arnold is perfect for a day that started up with a salmon-colored sky streaked over the marsh. Last night, the spring peepers started their chorus, today a fine friend is coming by to help me shovel up the winter's road sand from my front yard. The dark brown marsh feels neat, quiet, ready for what comes next.

This is post 199 on the blog, double what I had thought to produce. Over the weekend I'll be thinking about where to go from here with High Tide in the Salt Marsh. I'll let you know in post #200.