The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Salt and Light

The Sermon on the Mount uses salt and light to talk about promises and expectations. The phrase is used widely, for everything from a TV network to the upcoming worldwide Quaker meeting in Kenya. But for me these days, promises and expectations are all about the unfolding of new life in spring.

It's been less than 48 hours since our last snow. Jan, who is able to find beauty no matter what, took this in his back yard at high tide. It helps me remember why I love winter here in Maine, even though I'm happy to see it leave:




Speaking of Jan, if you read this blog from time to time you've seen Jan's wonderful pictures of blue birds that I've never seen down here on the marsh, just 1/4 mile from Jan. Yesterday the first one perched on one of my bird feeder poles, looking in the window at me. I jumped for my camera and it was gone, leaving a portrait of Jimmy, deep in thought:




Jimmy notwithstanding, the cats have been acting like Red Sox fans with dugout seats at the explosion of birds around here - the gold finches are back and various LBB (little brown birds) variations. The geese have for some reason stepped right up to the house, making an incredible ruckus.




There was one particularly loud fight right near that feeder pole between this very serious-looking guy:




And this fellow, who limped away. My theory is that he was faking an injury to escape his attacker, but I'm keeping an eye out today and many people around the marsh look out for the geese, don't worry.




I'm not all nature boy. Last week I got actual cable TV installed. The installer was a very nice young man. Installing helps pay bills - his girlfriend is a 7th generation Maine dairy farmer, and dairy people work hard for such a small return. I'm astonished at what's on TV. I've been enjoying a reality show about a small cargo airline in the Yukon, I watch it for the 1940's era C-46s and DC-3's airplanes. I loved flying around in them in Southeast Asia 40 years ago, a few of them still had canvas skins. I was once in a DC-3 flying over Laos when the door blew off at 10,000 feet. It was one of several times in my life - so far - when I was pretty sure I was about to die.

Jimmy is fascinated by my viewing TV. He turns his back to the screen that you can see over his shoulder and stands on my lap watching me as I watch old airplanes: