The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Friday, November 18, 2011

Books, Death of

Books. I’m just about done with the new one, Jerry the editor and I are having our traditional tussle about the cover. Jerry pays such close attention and he seems to hang in there through so many iterations of the same paragraph, I don’t know how he keeps his head screwed on with all the books he does. Then he takes the trouble and expense to send the book to an outside editor and then to a proof reader. I read SO many books these days that for sure have never darked in the door of any proofer. Even so, there won’t be that many Jerries around for that much longer. People are their own publishers. I think we’re at an extremely rudimentary stage of this new level of the sharing of human thoughts and feelings. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is only the most obvious problem yet to be solved. Amazon needs to evolve. But now any schlubb can write a book and make it available to much of the human race. This can be the basis for some incredible transformation of how we operate as a species, comparable to the invention of the compass or something. And by the way I know it’s darkend in the door, but my mom always said darked so I will too in her honor, Lord knows she needs it.