The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Friday, November 18, 2011

Gizmo


Gizmo review. I ordered the Kindle Fire as soon as it was announced and Amazon rewarded that behavior by sending it early. They keep the early in early adopter. Anyway the iPad goes to Sam at Thanksgiving, I’m sold in the Fire. Mostly, the size is perfect. It feels like a bit more than 2 iPhones, and it feels like less than half an iPad. It just fits my version of human scale. And it’s kind of ugly and heavy. It contradicts the Jobsian ethic – it’s not magic, it’s merely a useful appliance. It works and feels like a $199 gizmo, which is what it is. Navigation and especially the email composing is improved from the iPad. Anyway it’s not the be-all and end-all, it’s a practical machine in my life and in my day pack, functional and not wowee. That's is a step up.