The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Monday, December 12, 2011

Flogging the Worm

Jan tells me that the pipe his birds land on comes from the steam heat that used to be in his house. Steam is an inefficient way to heat buildings, but it sure makes cozy noises on winter nights......




Jan also says that the geese I was wondering about yesterday were photographed in early August. I might have figured that out for myself by noticing the new clover growth.




In yesterday's photos I quoted Jan's description of the treatment the worm as tenderizing. He says, ".....to clarify 'tenderizing:' the little green worms are a flavored delicacy and the adult will hold it by one end and flog the worm on the roof of the house before taking it in to feed the kids. Tenderization/immobilization.... blue birds are so open to us."