The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Marriage Equality


As predicted, I attended a terrific event on 12/3 hosted by the Frances Perkins Center, to learn about the securing of Social Security. I'm going to report on that event in the Perkins Center blog, and I'll share the link when it happens.

I want to mention one thing now that occurred towards the end of the back-and-forth between the presenters and the audience, as people in the near–capacity crowd told their stories about Social Security. A number of people shared their narratives like everyone else, but mentioned that their partners would not be able to receive survivors benefits from Social Security like the rest of us, nor would they if they were left by a deceased spouse.

I know like most other people that this form of discrimination against lesbian and gay people in our society exists. I thought I was there to learn about Social Security, which I did do. But I was brought back sharply to the unremitting discrimination that results from the complacency of people like me, and more substantially from the organized hatemongering of what is now undeniably a minority in our country.

Every one of us, no matter what our orientation, is harmed when we lived in the country whose laws include grotesque discrimination. As marriage equality measures come up on ballots around the US, and as efforts to repeal the Orwellian–named Defense of Marriage Act build up steam, I hope every single one of us, and the married ones too, will step up and do our part to remove this outrageous and shameful blot on our nation.

Here's one of Jan's pictures that seems to fit this topic, because to me it looks like a homecoming: