The Salt Marsh in Early Autumn

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Marsh In The Morning

I so greatly appreciate hearing from people who read this blog. The praise and the criticisms are actually equally enjoyable and helpful. A number of you have asked to read and see more about this part of Maine.

I've been around the world a dozen times, and I could live just about anywhere. If I were wealthy and made decisions only on the grounds of available cuisine, I'd live in Mumbai or Shanghai. But for the terrain, climate, and most especially the quality of the people–no place in the world beats Maine.

I'm going to make an effort to take more pictures, both locally and of the various creatures I watch all day, for example a great blue Heron has been standing right outside my window all week. On the assumption that the bird doesn't read this blog, I'll share an image when I can get one. In the meantime, we have the unfailingly excellent pictures from Jan that he so kindly shares.

Here's one from Jan taken a few weeks back when it was warmer, at our local mid coast oyster Festival. I'm glad Jan took this picture, since I'm among the people who rank the eating of oysters lower than gum surgery.



Here's a salt marsh shot taken through my window this morning, about an hour after sunrise. You can see that we got a pretty good frost last night.



As I took the picture through the window, Jimmy popped up to see what I was doing: